The weather is beautiful (which is misleading because I think I can get everything I want at the market), but it's still early Spring, which means that really the only thing you can get that was grown locally at the market would be asparagus, mushrooms, and collard and mustard greens. I do not like collard or mustard greens, so this leaves me with asparagus and mushrooms. I try to avoid making things with vegetables that come out of a can because they just taste better, so I have been rather inventive with dinner lately. This casserole (which consists of asparagus, chicken, wild rice, mushrooms, and asparagus) was one of those creations. It was quite tasty, so I thought I'd share in hopes that you, too, have a beautiful day at the market and enjoy the best of what is seasonal!
Early Spring Casserole
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups of sliced button mushrooms
- 2 bunches asparagus, ends trimmed so that the shoots are about 3-4 inches long
- 1 box of wild rice
- 1/2 can cream of chicken
- 1/2 can cream of mushroom
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp.Worcestershire
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- Parmesan cheese
Prep: (35 minutes) Can be done up to two days before
- Season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Bake, covered, with a little bit of broth until they are done (350 for 35 minutes)
- After chicken is finished, preheat oven to 400.
- Prepare rice according to directions.
- Sautee mushrooms and one clove of garlic in olive oil until they are soft but not completely finished (about 5 minutes).
- Steam asparagus until tender (about 6 minutes)
- Cube the cooked chicken, and combine with rice, asparagus, and mushrooms in a casserole dish.
- Mix together the creamed soups, sour cream, mayo, lemon juice and worcestershire. Add in the minced garlic. Pour over the casserole, and mix together well.
- Take the bread crumbs and sprinkle lightly all over the casserole (you're not making a crust, just giving it texture). Add parmesean cheese to your taste.
- Bake at 400 for 30 minutes! Stir the casserole right out of the oven, and let it set for five minutes before eating.
Hope everyone has a fantastic week!