My sweet friend Mere came with my parents and I - and we had a blast.
Here is what I learned:
1) The Churchill Downs staff have this thing down to a science. Everyone was so organized and courteous and had the best attitude. Made the day a million times more fun.
2) If you are drinking a mint julep at 11:00am, the news will stop and interview you. Because that happened.
3) Betting on horses because you like their name isn't a very intelligent betting strategy - but it's a fun one!
4) Everyone always talks about the mint juleps, but the Lilies are another standard drink and are very, very tasty.
5) It is worth going for the people watching alone - and it will make you want to buy your husband every single thing that Vineyard Vines makes.
6) Classy occasions mean they will sell mini champagne bottles with personal funnels in them. And they're awesome.
I have had plenty of fun weekends in my day, but this was one of the best ones I've ever had! Great company and a wonderful occasion - I want to go back every year!